Questions Every Trucker Should Ask When Job Hunting
Trucking is a lucrative industry in 2022, with many companies looking for qualified candidates to transport loads on a local, regional, and long distance basis. Though there are currently many great job opportunities for truckers, it may take some time to find the right one. Every trucker searching for a job that fits their salary and lifestyle expectations should ask the following questions during their job interview.
- Which routes do your drivers commonly take?
- How many miles can I expect to drive per month, on average?
- How many miles away from home will I be expected to travel?
Load And Truck Details
- Do drivers ever have to unload?
- What are the deadline policies for delivering goods?
- In case of a missed delivery deadline, how will the company discipline the driver?
- What is the company’s policy for missing deadlines caused by unforeseen circumstances (i.e., truck breakdowns, bad weather, traffic accidents, etc.)?
- What kind of equipment do drivers need to start working?
- Will my truck have an air-ride suspension system?
- Will my truck have a sleep-in area?
- How many tons will my assigned truck weigh?
Salary & Benefits
- How often can drivers receive a raise?
- What is a driver’s top earning potential in this position?
- What is the promotion potential for this job?
- What kinds of benefits does the company offer?
- Do you offer your drivers full health insurance benefits?
- Do you provide healthcare coverage for drivers’ families?
- Do you offer short-term disability coverage?
- Do you offer retirement benefits?
- Do you provide drivers with opportunities to earn bonuses?
- Do you offer new driver sign-on bonuses?
Time Off / Vacation
- What is your company’s home-time policy?
- How much time off can I expect to receive through the company’s home-time policy?
- Will my days off vary or be consistent?
- What is your policy for drivers who need extra time off (i.e., medical needs, injuries that occur outside of work, illness, family emergencies, etc.)?
- Does the company offer paid vacation?
- Do drivers earn more vacation time the longer they stay with the company?
- Are there restrictions on when I can use my vacation time?
- Do vacation days expire annually or can they be carried over into the next year?
- How many vacation days can I accumulate before I must use them?